The danger of relationships in early substance abuse recovery are well documented. When women are in early recovery they are searching for ways to fill the void that is left by drugs or alcohol. Some may turn to chocolate or dive into bags of potato chips. For others, jumping into a rehab romance makes them feel alive and desired. Why do treatment facilities such as Eden Hill discourage romance in early recovery? Just for the record it is not because we are mean spirited or want to deprive women of the excitement of a new relationship whether it is with a man or another women. We have learned through trial and error that when women get involved in a sexual relationship they lose focus on themselves and begin to believe that a “another person can make them happy” instead of creating a stronger self esteem, making a commitment to their own recovery and investing the necessary time and energy in the 12 -step program as well as supportive female friendships.
Eden Hill discourages romantic relationships in the first year but if they do happen the woman in early recovery should consider the following guidelines:
- Do not hide the relationship. Talk about it with your sponsor.
- Understand that there is a very good chance that the man is looking for physical comfort and not a long term relationship.
- Limit the amount of time you spend together.
- Work your program, exercise, spend time with your friends.
- Make a list of warning signs that indicate that the romance is interfering with your recovery and keep it in your purse.
NO ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP IS WORTH RELAPSE!!!!
More about Dori Gay on Google+